SHTFDad may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Canned food is a convenient and easy way to store and transport food. But what if you don’t have a can opener?
It is an unpleasant situation, but don’t worry! There are several ways how you may open a can without a can opener. In this article, we will look at six tips on how to open a can without can opener.
We’ll look at various options, from a knife to a spoon, a hammer, or even with a rock! Each method has its advantages and disadvantages. And we’ll give step-by-step instructions and safety tips for each.
These tips will be useful if you’re hiking in the wilderness, stuck in a power outage, or just can’t find a can opener in your kitchen drawer.
You can enjoy canned foods quickly with a little ingenuity and some basic tools. So, let’s get started and find out how to open a can without a can opener!
#1 No Can Opener? But You Have a Spoon!
If you don’t have a can opener but you have a spoon, you can still open a can. How to open a can with a spoon?
Here are step-by-step guide:
- First, hold the can firmly on a flat surface.
- Then use the tip of a spoon to make a small hole in the top of the can near the edge. This hole allows air to get inside the jar and makes it easier to open.
- Then use the spoon to gradually push the lid away from the jar, pushing down on edge.
- Continue working around the jar until the lid bounces off.
Be careful not to hurt yourself or damage the contents of the jar.
#2 Use the Knife as a Can Opener
If you need a can opener handy, you may open a can without a can opener. You will need a knife for this!
Here’s how to do it:
- Hold the can in one hand, and with the other hand, hold the knife.
- Find the seam that runs vertically along the side of the can.
- Place the knife tip against the jar next to the seam.
- Insert the knife into the can, then cut through the metal with a sawing motion.
- Rotate the can as you cut to make cutting around the entire lid easier.
- After you have cut the entire perimeter of the can, pry the lid off with a knife or your fingers.
Remember to be careful when using a knife to open the can.
#3 Rock Out
Do you want to know how to open can without can opener?
It can be tricky, but it can even be done with an ordinary stone! Here are tips on how you can do it:
- First, find a sturdy rock about the size of your fist.
- Press the jar firmly against a hard surface like a rock or tree trunk.
- Use the rock to pound and pierce the jar’s lid several times until it is loose enough to be opened.
Be careful not to puncture the contents of the jar or hurt yourself while performing this task.
#4 What About the Hammer?
If you don’t have a can opener, you can still open a can using a hammer.
Here’s how to open it without can opener:
- Hold the can tightly against a hard surface, such as a table or a countertop.
- Locate the seam where the lid meets the can and position the hammer’s claw over the seam.
- Tap the claw with another tool, such as a screwdriver, until it punctures the lid.
- Work your way around the lid, tapping the claw in different spots to create a series of punctures until the lid is loose enough to pry off.
Be careful not to puncture the contents inside the can while performing this task.
#5 Flats Pliers Can Also Help
Opening a jar with pliers can be done in a few simple steps:
- First, find the edge of the can you want to open.
- Then use the pliers to grasp the edge of the can.
- Push and twist the pliers back and forth to create a small hole.
- Once the hole is created, insert the pliers’ tip into the slit and use it to pry the lid off the jar.
- Repeat this technique around the circumference of the lid as needed until it is fully removed.
Be careful when performing this process, as the sharp edges of the jar can be dangerous.
#6 Your Hands – Extreme Option
If you still don’t have a can opener and want to open the can with your bare hands, here’s how to open a can without a can opener:
- First, make sure that you place a jar on a flat surface.
- Grasp the jar lid firmly with your fingers and try to pry it off.
- Keep pushing down until you hear a popping noise. It indicates that you have opened the jar successfully.
Be careful not to hurt yourself during this process, as it requires much force and strength.
Bonus Tip: Use Wax Paper or Tin Foil for a Tight Seal
If you need to store leftovers or keep food fresh, try using wax paper or tin foil as an alternate way to seal the container.
Simply place a piece of wax paper or tin foil over the top of the jar and press down firmly with your fingers.
It will create a tight seal that won’t come undone easily! It is especially helpful if you can’t access a can opener.
You can also use this method as an alternative to resealing opened canned goods after they’ve been opened.
Now you know how to open it without a can opener! With these handy tips, you should always be able to enjoy canned food again!
Opening a can without a can opener might seem daunting. But with the right tools and know-how, it is possible!
Using different tools, you can be successful at opening a can. And for a layer of protection against air, you can use wax paper or tin foil to keep food fresher for longer.
So next time you find yourself without a can opener, don’t fret! These tips will help you get out of any canned food jam!